Thursday 5 May 2011

Evaluation Pt 1: Conventions

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Overall, my regular edition of RockNote uses several recognised conventions, however it also subverts conventions in areas; which makes it look realistic (I hope!), yet different from the current rock magazine market. It is not totally different, so it is clear which type of magazine it is (music) and which genre within it (rock) from a glance at the OFC. This is down to certain conventions I have used:
I have kept to a palette of 3 main colours, RED, BLACK and YELLOW. This palette of few colours is like uniform to rock magazines, and nearly always includes black and red - ""Q", "NME" etc.
My poster collage on the OFC is typical of existing magazines, especially "Kerrang!", as is the mid-shot I've used. Most magazines use a mid-shot or a long shot to show the model's outfit etc. Similarly I have kept included the bar along the bottom with the cover lines, as is included in many magazines. "Plus" is quite often the word generally used, rather than "also included" etc, so I used it for mine.

Contents Conventions:
I used a "Kerrang!" contents page for my style model. I took the main features and included them in my contents (see my Evaluation Overview), for example the editors note, the byline, columns, split page and subscription box.

I have tried to utilize the space to put as much information as actual magazines have. I used the same methods as "Kerrang!" excepting for changing certain parts to suit my house style, especially the page markers, where I neglected the triangular pointer in favour of my record-type symbol for consistency.

The MCR OFC in the bottom right hand corner (part of the subscription box) differs from usual conventions as it has an alternative layout (see MCR Special Evaluation). I decided to incorporate my MCR Special into the regular edition so I could show all of my work in one place. If I were really to produce a professional copy, I would keep them seperate, and add interviews etc with the band rather than the less conventional way of just live reviews, using my main influences: "Kerrang!", "NME" and "Q".

Despite some of the subversion of conventions, I wasn't particularly influenced by anything specifically, I just designed it how I thought would look good and appeal to my audience. However, realising how much it differed from the usual conventions we studied David Carson, and his magazine "Ray Gun" I was intruiged by his ability to completely change his style each issue, so it always looked odd, but interestingly so; and unknown to be the same brand each issue. Personally, I wouldn't like to deliberately create obscure layouts and designs as I would still prefer a house style to be evident, so my consumers know instantly they are buying my branded magazine. I want to keep the sense of familiarity within my brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment